Congratulations 2014 Migration Advocacy And Media Awards Winners!
The Commission on Filipinos Overseas congratulates the 10 best media works from the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Philippines, as this year’s Migration Advocacy and Media (MAM) Awards winners. Now on its fourth year, the MAM Awards, which was conceived in 2011 by the CFO, aim to recognize the significant role of the media in raising public awareness on issues related to Filipino migration, the challenges of migration and development, and advocate the cause and promote a positive image of Filipinos overseas.
1. BEST PRINT AWARD (ARTICLE) PH, KOREA ACT TO PREVENT SHAM MARRIAGES Author: Jonathan Hicap Publication: Manila Bulletin Philippines
An article about marriage migration and the initiatives made by the Philippine and South Korea governments to end fake interracial marriages.
2. BEST PRINT AWARD (MAGAZINE) OFW PINOY STAR Publisher: Luz Campos-Mesenas Editor: Clement Mesenas Singapore
A monthly community-based Filipino magazine in Singapore, featuring news and articles of general interest to overseas Filipinos.
3. BEST PRINT AWARD (BOOK) CONNECTING TWO CULTURES - AUSTRALIA AND THE PHILIPPINES Author: Renato Perdon Publisher: The Manila Prints Australia
A book about the Philippine-Australian relations and the interacting relations of the Filipino migrants through the centuries in their “second homeland Down Under”.
4. BEST RADIO AWARD (REGULAR) PINOY LIFE RADIO Hosts: Aileen Alonzo and Jun Concepcion Radio Station: RTHK's Radio 3
Airing every Sunday, the radio program tackles migration issues and problems affecting overseas Filipinos, particularly household service workers in Hong Kong.
5. BEST TV SHOW AWARD (REGULAR) JUAN EU KONEK Hosts: Danny Buenafe, Rose Eclarinal, and Gene Alcantara TV Station: ABS-CBN’s The Filipino Channel United Kingdom
Airing every first Sunday of the month, the TV program explores the rich and varied stories of overseas Filipinos in Europe.
6. BEST TV SHOW AWARD (EPISODIC) MY PUHUNAN GOES TO DUBAI Host: Karen Davila TV Station: ABS-CBN Philippines
The special episode features the inspiring and success stories of overseas Filipinos who ventured in business in Dubai.
7. BEST DOCUMENTARY DOCUMENTED Director: Juan Antonio Vargas USA
The documentary tackles the problem of illegal migration in the US and provides an exclusive insight into the journey of the The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas as an undocumented migrant.
8. BEST INTERACTIVE MEDIA (WEBSITE) POSITIVELY FILIPINO Website: www.positivelyfilipino.com Editor and Publisher: Mona Lisa Yuchengco USA
The website is a premier digital magazine celebrating the story of Filipinos in the diaspora. It chronicles the experience of the global Filipino in all its complexity, and keeps them in touch with political, economic and cultural developments in the homeland.
9. BEST INTERACTIVE MEDIA (BLOG) OFWS IN HONG KONG Website: www.ofwsadisyerto.blogspot.com Blogger: Casimero Deso-Acido Hong Kong
The blog provides useful and critical information on different issues affecting Filipino migrants in Hong Kong.
10. BEST ADVERTISEMENT GRADUATION FULL OF GRATITUDE TV Station: ABS-CBN’s The Filipino Channel Philippines
The advertisement is a tribute to parents, brothers, sisters and loved ones of students who have completed their academic journey through the support of their loved ones overseas.
The panel of judges for the MAM Awards is headed by CFO with members from the different migration and media institutions, which include Philippine Migrants Rights Watch, Movie and Television Review and Classification Board, National Commission for Culture and the Arts, Philippines Information Agency, and National Press Club of the Philippines.
The Awarding Ceremonies, which will form part of the annual celebration of the Month of Overseas Filipinos and International Migrants Day, will be on December 18, 2013, 5:00 pm at SSS Magsaysay Hall, Quezon City.